Girls Inc. of the Valley is accepting resumes for Internship positions in all three of our program departments: the Eureka! Program, the Middle and High School Program, and the Elementary School Program. Internships are available in Springfield, Chicopee, and Holyoke. Programs take place primarily during the school day and/or after school hours, as well as during school vacations. Some weekends and evenings may be required. We are looking for interns who are able to serve 8-15 hours per week with priority given to those who can make a commitment for the duration of the academic year.
Eureka! is an innovative and unique STEM-based, college and career readiness program. On their five year journey through the program, our teen scholars engage in STEM workshops with college professors, learn about community action and activism, complete a paid professional job shadow experience and earn college credit during a Bay Path University course. Eureka! is one of Girls Inc.’s premiere programs, not only encouraging girls to see college as a realistic part of their future, but providing them with the knowledge and skills, and opportunities to make that a reality. We are seeking 1-2 interns who are passionate about STEM, college access and social justice.
Elementary School Program
We are seeking 2-4 energetic interns who love working with elementary-age youth! We will be operating school-based programs and after-school programs for youth in grades K-5 from September through June. Our programs include activities in sports, mind & body, homework help, STEM, art, economic literacy, leadership, and sex education.
Middle and High School Program
We are looking for 1-3 interns to work with students in grades 6-12 at our Program Center and in our school-based programs. Primary responsibilities will be assisting with group facilitation and group management, as well as program recruitment and administrative tasks. About 70% of our programming derives from our Healthy Sexuality curriculum and the other 30% encompasses a variety of youth development activities (advocacy, life skills, art, LGBTQ club, etc.) We are especially seeking applicants with experience in comprehensive sexuality education, social justice activism and/or mentoring.
- High school diploma or GED required
- Preference for students who bring their own institutional funding or who are fulfilling a field placement requirement
- Passion for the Girls Inc. mission
- Creative and energetic presence
- An awareness of and commitment to social justice education, gender equity, reproductive justice, trans rights and anti-racism
- Experience with group facilitation, program planning, or youth work, or a willingness to learn
- Computer literacy including Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Forms) and Zoom. Social media proficiency also helpful.
- Sense of humor and ability to roll with the ever changing nature of working with youth
- Must have reliable transportation to assigned school(s) and/or Girls Inc. headquarters in Holyoke, as required.
- Must be able to pass a CORI & background check
To apply, please contact email@example.com to receive an Intern & Volunteer Application
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until positions have been filled. Stipends are available on a limited basis for interns without other sources of funding.